One of the most frequently asked questions regarding safety footwear is: what is the difference between S1, S1P, S2 and S3 Safety footwear?
All forms of safety footwear for general use has to comply to the the UNI EN ISO 20345 standard. Fit out with a toe cap, this footwear protects the user against crushing impacts with protection provided on 200J, and pressure loading of at least 15 kN. The difference between the S standards lies in a safety boot’s resistance to water sprays and punctures. Here is a quick overview:
SB Safety Footwear
- Work boots with SB certification offer you protection against minimal risks. They only have a reinforced safety toe made of steel or composite.
S1 Safety Footwear – 200 joule protection and anti static features
- Suitable for dry environments
- With steel or composite toecap to withstand an impact of 200 Joules
- Closed heel region
- Sole: oil and acid resistant and anti-static properties, including energy absorption of the heel region
- S1P Footwear has the same qualities as S1 footwear, plus: a stainless steel or woven penetration resistant layer to protect you from sharp objects entering through the sole to a force of 1100 Newton
S2 Safety Footwear – 200 Joule protection, anti-static and water repellent features
- S2 Footwear has the same qualities as S1 Footwear, plus:
- Water repellant leather, making it suitable for use in wet conditions
- S2 Footwear does not have a puncture resistant midsole
S3 Safety Footwear – 200 joule protection, anti-static- and water repellent features, and a puncture resistant midsole
- S3 Footwear has the same qualities as S2 Footwear, plus:
- A stainless steel or woven penetration resistant layer to protect you from sharp objects entering through the sole to a force of 1100 Newton
- A profiled outer sole. This gives you very stable and comfortable footing while working on any task.
Here some average situations where you could do a distinction between S1, S1P, S2, S3 safety footwear:
You work indoors, with no risk of water sprays, and you need protection for your toes, and a good breathability? Choose S1 safety footwear.
You work indoors, with no risk of water sprays, and you need protection for your toes, you need protection against perforation, and a good breathability? Choose S1P safety footwear.
You work outdoors and you need protection for your toes and against water sprays? Choose S2 safety footwear.
You work outdoors and you need protection for your toes, protection against perforation, and against water sprays? Choose S3 safety footwear.
Always choose safe work shoes. The S standards help you make your choice. Always protect yourself as well as possible. Choose the appropriate personal protective equipment for a specific task. This way you will not only work safely, but also better and more comfortably.
- Work safely with work shoes with the right S standard
- Take the possible risks into account and use maximum protection
- Always work comfortably and safely
Tip: To find the safety boot you need, visit our online store.